Sunday, March 22, 2009

Laundry Soap!!! Crazy cheap & Works!

I stole this from my friend Lacie's blog...

Homemade Laundry Soap! $1.81!!!
Don't think I'm crazy but I thought I would make my own laundry soap:) I got the idea from Paige's blog...THANKS!!

Ingredients...I bar Fels-Naptha, 1 Cup Washing Soda, 1/2 Cup Borax and Water!
Fill your bucket 1/2 full of HOT water.
Grate you bar of soap and dissolve in 4 cups of water on medium low heat.
Pour melted soap, and other 2 ingredients into bucket!
Fill to top with HOT water and mix. Time to cover and let it sit over night!
Stir well in the morning.
It makes 10 gal. so fill jug half full of soap and half of water and shake. Mixed with water ready to use! Shake before each use.
It does 160 loads using 1 cup per load. I calculated this out to be ONLY $1.81 for 10 gal. or 160 loads (Top Loader)(640 loads Front Loader use 1/4 cup)I have washed 1 load so far and it worked great!
I borrowed some of Lacie's soap and it worked awesome. It got out salsa from Jaxsyn's white polo, and a shade shirt that looked dingy from laundry soap looked almost new, & a shade tee that had an old salsa stain that had been washed & dried twice came out in a cinch. I was sold so I made my own today!! I might even try the homemade dryer sheets.

10 comments:

KathiG said...

where do you get the ingredients at to make this stuff? do you know if it's safe for those who have sensitive skin or eczema?

Ryan, Melissa, and Family said...

I agree...I made it a little while back and LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

alisha said...

Interesting. I've used the felsnaptha bar before for stains. Thanks for the info.

Tandy said...

I made the dry version of this laundry soap and got the recipe from Tamie Taylor and I absolutely love it and think it works much better than the store bought. I haven't heard about dryer sheets though.

Lisa said...

I'll have to ask Tamie about the dry version...do share about the dryer sheets!

Grandma said...

Pretty smart Chelsi. Leave it to you to try something that saves money. I think I have a pretty smart granddaughter.--Love, G. Brenner

Jennifer Parcell said...

I so need to hop on this bandwagon! I have been meaning to do it, but life keeps getting in the way! Darn it! Soon very soon! I have to!

Cook Family said...

I made some a month or so ago, it was actually pretty fun.

Grandma said...

Hey Chels how about the instructions for the dryer sheets. Luv Grandma Brenner

Kelli said...

Thanks for sharing this! I love making homemade cleaners and using all natural stuff. I can't wait to try it out!!