Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So very blessed...


Today the state we live in had an emergency food drive, because the food bank is running very low. I took Coleman & Jaxsyn to the store with me to buy food to donate. On the way Coleman threw a fit about me saying no to a toy, and how mean I was. I was so upset and explained that we were going to the store to buy food for people who have no food and you are mad that you don't get a toy. I said would you rather buy a toy or buy more food for a 6 year old boy who is hungry? Thankfully he answered "Buy food for a little boy". He was so good shopping and kept helping put food in the cart. On the way home I teared up in thanks for the blessing I have of being able to feed my children. I feel so lucky that I can open my pantry and find food there, and that I know my children will not be hungry.

8 comments:

Robby and Christy said...

Your a good Mom/Person you always have such a giving heart.

Shelly Kenison said...

What a great thing to do with your kids. I am sure that Coleman will remember the lesson he learned for many years. What a wonderful way to start your holiday season!

Holly said...

It has been such a long time since I have commented on your blog. You have some great posts. I love that you made shirts to cheer Ryan on. A great way to give the kids something to do and show how much they love their Dad.

Ryan, Melissa, and Family said...

That's awesome...way to go! I agree..I am very thankful that I am able to feed my children, I can't imagine the heartache of watching your own kids go hungry.

KathiG said...

You did good, Chelsi. Coleman is a very grown-up little 6 year for giving the answer that he did. Now, as much as ever, we all need to be working on food storage as much as ever. With the markets and everything being so crazy, and only the Lord knows what's in store for us if the election does bode well. Our area's food banks have been low, too, and the university students have had an ongoing food drive this year at the football games and a large one is planned for some of the basketball games, too. I always try to bring as many canned goods and boxed items as I can spare. Sometimes I can bring a Walmart sack full, sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, but I try to do what I can. Trust me, I know full well what it's like to not know what I'm going to feed my kid. There was a long 18 months when we lived in Ardmore that I was unemployed and more times than I want to remember I did not know what I was going to feed Steven. But the Lord always provided whether I asked Him too or not. Ryan remembers that we didn't have a whole lot, but I always loved feeding "my missionaries" and sometimes it was only spaghetti, but they were always appreciative. Keep up the good "mommy work". Your whole family are surely a blessing to those around you. ;-))

J&J said...

That was great Chelsi! A great lesson learned!

Natalie said...

It is so easy to get caught up in the things we don't have but think we need-but I agree with you, we are also very blessed.

Jen B. said...

I don't know how many times I can tell you how awsome you are!